Thursday, September 25, 2008

tomatoes - new work in progress


This is what is currently on my drafting table. The round objects are tomatoes. As you can see, this piece is just at the beginning stage. I created my drawing and then transferred it to the surface. After that I started the background.

The surface is Ampersand's Pastelbord (Sand) and I am using coloured pencils. Nothing else. I am looking forward to building up all the red in the tomatoes!

Isn't it great how getting something off of your to-do list has the effect of energizing you? Last night I sat down and finished all the thank you notes to the people who gave donations to charities and who gave flowers when Dad died. Dad was very well liked and there were a lot of people to thank. Anyway, it was just after 11:00 p.m. when I got the last one written, addressed and sealed. I did a little happy dance around the living room. And yippee, didn't I just wake up this morning before 6:00 so bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to dive into work that it was shocking. By 6:30 I was already sitting in my studio, coffee in hand, candle lit, fountain tinkling, and I had just finished updating my accounts. How awesome is that?

Maybe you should try it...what chore is currently camped out on your to-do list? I hope this rush of energy lasts all day!

This morning I was walking my dog past my neighbour's field. I was watching the hundred or so Canada geese that were feeding there. I was facinated to see two white geese in amongst the others. After a quick google search, it would appear that what I saw were two Snow geese. Apparently they breed in northern Canada and the northeastern tip of Siberia and winter much further south in the continent, in the southern USA and beyond. I guess these two are just traveling with the other birds. Anyway, a lovely unexpected event. Okay, back to those tomatoes...

4 comments:

Jeanette Jobson said...

This looks wonderful so far Teresa. I've never used the Ampersand board but I have a piece at home as well as some Colorfix sanded paper. I may join you in a tomato piece before the week is out.

And aren't you just so productive! All those thank you cards done and up at the crack of dawn to get some drawing underway. I'm impressed! (and jealous :))

Teresa Mallen said...

Hi Jeanette, can't wait to see your tomatoes (gee that sounds rather suggestive or perhaps it is because I have just checked the emails caught by my spam filter. Interesting to see a reflection of the U.S. economic concerns in my spam. I had almost as many emails dealing with debt troubles as the usual male physical enhancement ones!

I am sure you will enjoy trying out the Ampersand or the Colorfix. Once you get past the fact that your pencils get eaten by the sanded surface, I think you will enjoy how quickly the layering goes (okay, quick when compared to white paper...my layering style could never be described as quick).

As for being jealous, well good grief, this from the woman who is up at 5:30 a.m. everyday drawing like a fiend. Putting us all to shame I might add - I'm just trying to catch up!! :-)

grace said...

Now that my music career is on hold, I have taken up birdwatching: rather in the same vein, with enthousiam trumping talent.

It's really common at this time of the year to spot mixed flocks of our goosey friends. Another that you might see is the Brandt: sort of a mini-me to the Canada Goose. Run your eye along the top edge of the flock to look for differences in height. Birders are constantly looking for the "thing that is different".

I'll choose from the (long) list of things that are hanging over my head as soon as I get back from the Conservation Area!

Teresa Mallen said...

Well hi there Grace! Welcome to my blog. Thanks so much for stopping by. I thought your new career was future Olympic hopeful what with that new found desire to run and run and run...?!? No? :-)