Monday, June 3, 2013

exploring

small study of a winter's day, 3" x 2.5"
coloured pencil on colourfix paper, copyright Teresa Mallen

It seems rather fitting that I post a tiny snowy scene, given that my last entry was written back in the depths of winter! Sheesh, the time has flown by.

My 'word' for 2013, is explore. Do you pick an annual word too? In case you don't have a clue what I am talking about, what I mean is that every December I ponder what I would like to focus on in the coming year. One year my idea required a phrase, not just a single word  - 'Teresa, own your time'. That one stays a work in progress! :-)

Anyway, the reason I haven't been posting is that I have been busy exploring!!!! I dedicated these past months to the pursuit of working differently, creating very small studies of different subject matter using different techniques and approaches. 

I allowed myself to create freely - with no objectives with regards to competition entries, possible sales and portfolio building. As part of all that, these artistic experiments would remain private. Honestly, some bad art was made and that was absolutely fine with me! I think that is rather expected when exploring.


But now it seems that I have exhausted the ideas I wished to explore and now I am feeling the urge to get back on track. So that means my blogging break is over and I shall be posting once more. I have lots of garden pictures to share and of course, why not a few photos of my pretty hennies?
 

This spot is a favourite with our chicken flock. They love this weathered wooden bench which is located under a basswood tree right beside the house. From here they have an elevated view down the lawn to the barn. The grass is long, with lovely seed heads that they like to eat, and there are lots of insects to scratch around for.


I love this tiny clump of violets that has naturally seeded on top of the concrete of an old stable wall, in a bit of mossy soil beside a rock. Reminds me of the saying, "Bloom where you are planted." I hope all of you are having a wonderful spring!

No comments: