Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Coloured Pencil Society of Canada, coloured pencil resources

I am delighted to present to you: the Coloured Pencil Society of Canada. Did you even know there was one? I am happy to tell you that there is! The society is under a year old so if you haven't heard of it, that isn't too surprising. Actually the society was loosely formed many years ago but it never got off the ground, at least not on a national level.I actually talked about the society to the founder and current President Gordon Webster back in the spring of 2007. It has taken quite a while for the organization to get fully launched.But fully launched this group is. There is a website you can visit: http:colouredpencilcanada.ca and the latest big announcement is that details for the first annual national exhibition, scheduled for the summer of 2012 have now been released. You can read all about it on the website. The juror shall be none other than Canadian artist Bernard Poulin, author of The Complete Colored Pencil Book (as well as other books). Mr. Poulin is VP Emeritus of the Coloured Pencil Society of America and this year he was the juror, awards judge and guest artist for the United Kingdom Coloured Pencil Society.

I am very fortunate that the exhibition shall start off here in Ottawa. I shall be lucky enough to go see it in person. There are plans for the exhibition to travel to Toronto and Montreal and if that actually occurs, that would be incredible. As for entering, you bet I shall, I feel the pressure already! Bernard shall be a formidable judge to go before, but then so he should be. 

I encourage you to visit the websites of these various cp organizations (click on my highlighted text to use the links). These sites are chalk full of info, art and links to artists. While you are at it, check out the Australian Coloured Pencils Network, the Coloured Pencil Society of Denmark, and the Japan Colored Pencil Society. All of these organizations are very young and they have accomplished a lot in a very short time period. The oldest organization is the Colored Pencil Society of America founded 21 years ago and this year the UK group celebrates their 10th anniversary.


Resources such as those pictured above can be purchased from the Colored Pencil Society of America. The Signature Showcase book features art from all of the members who had earned signature status prior to the book's publication. I earned CPSA signature status the year the book came out (last year) so I shall have to wait for the next volume. :-)  DVDs of the work that is juried into the CPSA exhibitions can be purchased as well. If you become a member you will receive a copy of the CPSA magazine To the Point. Back issues can be ordered on line as well.

The medium of coloured pencil is thriving and growing in popularity and awareness. How wonderful is that? My congratulations go out to all of the hardworking folks at the Coloured Pencil Society of Canada. Your volunteer efforts are shining for all of us to see.

4 comments:

Ester Roi said...

Great news for Canadians, Teresa! Of course you will enter the first CPSC national exhibition - but does that mean we will not see you at the CPSA conventions anymore? I surely hope not! You have a lot of friends down here, don't forget about us.

Teresa Mallen said...

Ummm...well...sorry to say Ester, I do think this does spell the end of CPSA conventions for me, at least for awhile. Next summer's CPSC exhibition clashes with the dates for the CPSA. Whatever I enter for the CPSC will not be entered for the CPSA because if I was juried into both (a long shot no doubt) my work couldn't be in both places at once. Of course I could attend the convention even if my art wasn't in the show but then again, staying home saves pennies. Of course I won't forget about all of you though. Maybe you folks could start traveling to Canada? It is beautiful up here, honestly, and the people are really friendly! :-) Thank you for your kind thoughts Ester. I think this is a great new organization for you to advertise your Icarus board to!!!!!

Ester Roi said...

I totally understand and I wish you all the best. Fortunately it's so easy to stay in touch nowadays!

Barb Goodsitt said...

Congratulations on earning signature status with the CPSA. Also, enjoy the Canadian Colored Pencil show too! Bernard Poulin's book inspired me to take up colored pencils a few years ago.
I enjoy reading your posts. Looking forward to more!